Established in Yorkshire in 1997, with the assistance and support of his son, Tom Priestley, The J.B. Priestley Society exists, with an international membership, to promote and widen the knowledge, understanding and appreciation of the life and works of J.B. Priestley.
The Society is open to everyone to join and welcomes new members from all walks of life. It has an attractive membership package, a varied social calendar and offers for purchase a wide range of in-house publications.
The J.B. Priestley Society is a member of The Alliance of Literary Societies.
Below you will find information that outlines what we can offer, and our aims.
We welcome new members from all walks of life.
Should you require help with an individual or group project then please get in touch.
The Society can offer:
- Display material
- Pre-performance and educational talks and presentations
- Information for theatre programmes
- To widen the knowledge, understanding and appreciation of Priestley’s literary and other published works and to encourage the reading and enjoyment of his books for future generations.
- To promote the study of J.B. Priestley’s life and career, and the social, cultural and political forces which influenced him?
- To provide a forum so that members may share experiences and knowledge of his works, life and career.
The Society promotes these aims in a number of ways, in particular:
- To hold lectures, seminars or other events, and to exhibit films or video-cassettes either separately or in conjunction with such events.
- To publish journals or other written material and promote the production, distribution, exhibition or sale of books, films, photographs or other material associated with Priestley.
- To promote public performance of his work.
- To stimulate or assist with education projects relating to his life and work.
OFFICERS OF THE J.B. PRIESTLEY SOCIETY
Barry Cryer OBE
THE COUNCIL of The J.B. Priestley Society
As at April 2015
Chairman Lee Hanson (Leeds)
Vice-Chairman Nicolas Hawkes (Ilkley)
Hon. Secretary Rod Slater (Lymm)
6 Massey Brook Lane, Lymm, WA13 0PN
Hon Treasurer Andrew Greathead (Birmingham)
81 Southam Road Hall Green Birmingham B28 0AA
Membership Secretary Tony Reavill (Bingley)
Eldwick Crag Farm, High Eldwick, Bingley, BD16 3BB
Guest Journal Editor: Ken Smith (Huddersfield)
Newsletter Editor: Nicolas Hawkes (Ilkley)
Information Officer (film): Bill Lawrence (Halifax)
Information Officer (theatre / publishers): Lee Hanson as above
Publication Sales Officer: tbc
John Baxendale (Sheffield)
Alison Cullingford (Special Collections, University of Bradford)
Mavis Dean (Bradford)
Michael Nelson (Leeds)
Ann Nelson (Leeds)
Jenny Reavill (Bingley)